Sunday, May 20, 2012

Something Fun

Sometimes I worry that I spend too much time passing along negative articles about food and other products, so today I'm taking time to do the exact opposite: give you guys some links to books that have fantastic recipes or positive messages for those on the road to healthier living.

First up is Culinary Intelligence: The Art of Eating Healthy (and Really Well) by Peter Kaminsky, a food writer who was forced to change his eating habits after coming too close to obesity and diabetes. He has managed to lose 45 pounds and keep them off, while eating foods that are rarely in diet cookbooks (think prosciutto and olives and cheese). In his opinion, maintaining a healthy eating lifestyle is not only about making healthy choices but also about not sacrificing flavor, which too many diet cookbooks promote. This book is definitely worth a read for all food lovers who aren't crazy about the typical diet foods!

The second is one that I've mentioned before, but its merits are worth repeating. The Happiness Diet by Tyler Graham and Drew Ramsey is what began my own quest for healthier cooking--easy to do when you realize how many currently stigmatized foods are actually good for you!

Next is the secret to all my bread-making. I hate to give this one up because now people won't need me to make bread for them any more, but it's too good not to share. Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois is a must-have for all bread lovers. They have tricks and tips for creating homemade bread that doesn't take hours and hours of work. Trust me, if I can do it, anyone can. I also highly recommend their follow-up cookbook, Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: 100 New Recipes Featuring Whole Grains, Fruits, Vegetables, and Gluten-Free Ingredients, which offers healthier options than the original volume.

That should be enough to get you started, but I plan to post more helpful links in the future. Gotta share the love!




No comments:

Post a Comment